Recipe for Black Currant Filled Sweet Buns
You can bake yummy buns at home and serve them as a delicious snack for tea or coffee. Fresh and flavorful, they will always enrich your everyday table. We baked buns filled with black currant jam, but you can use any filling you like. What’s more important is airy sweet yeast dough that is made using kefir and butter. These homemade buns don’t harden as quickly as buns available at stores. Homemade bakery goods are always better than store-bought ones because there are no unhealthy margarine, hydrogenated fats and other chemical additives in them.
Ingredients for Black Currant Filled Sweet Buns
- 4 cups (1 kg) white flour
- 100 g butter
- 200 g kefir or sour milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 150 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast (or 50 g fresh yeast)
- 200 g black currant
- Mix yeast in warm kefir.
- Break in eggs, stir in soft butter, add olive oil, sugar and salt.
- Mix everything well. Add sifted flour gradually, beating up with hands.
- Use all flour this way and knead dough until it comes away from your hand and elastic.
- If the dough is sticky, add more flour. The longer you knead, the more airy the dough will be.
- Now form a ball and place it into a large bowl. Cover with wet kitchen towel and put in a warm place.
- When the dough doubles in size (about an hour later), knead it again and let stand to rise.
- Once the dough rises again, start working with it.
- Divide the ball in half and roll out each half into 0.5-inch thick disks.
- Cut each disk into quarters and then cut each piece in half., yielding 8 triangles from each disk.
- Now mix jam with flour to prevent it from flowing outward while baking and put some jam on the edge of each triangle.
- Roll out and fix the edges shaping buns.
- Dust a baking sheet with flour and put buns on it. Let stand for 20-30 minutes.
- When buns rise, coat them with olive oil and bake in pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Bake until buns are nicely brown.