Making Tomato Sauce or Puree
Tomato puree (passata di pomodoro) is a very useful thing. It will always come in handy if you have it in store at home, you can use it in making many dishes – pizzas, sauces for pasta, soups. Add to this tomato puree – sugar, vinegar, chili pepper and garlic, you can prepare excellent homemade ketchup.
Now tomatoes are in, they are sweet and tasty. It’s a good time to make preserves for the winter.
Puree is generally made from elongated fleshy tomatoes that have little liquid and plenty of thick pulp.
Ingredients for Tomato Sauce or Puree
- San Marzano tomatoes (or any other fleshy): 5-6 kg.
- Salt: to taste.
- Basil, chili and other spices: optional.
Recipe for Tomato Sauce or Puree
- Wash the tomatoes in running water, let them dry.
- Cut them into large pieces, put them into the bowl of a blender and make puree.
- Lay the puree into a large pan. Add salt and pepper, add all the spices and herbs to your taste.
- Bring to boil and keep boiling on low heat for an hour, don’t forget to stir.
- Pour the puree out into sterilized jars, put two leaves of fresh basil into each jar and screw on the lid.
- Place the jars in a large pan and sterilize for about 40 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave the jars to cool down in hot water.
- Check them for air-tight sealing. Store in a cool dark place.