Soft Italian Mozzarella cheese is used not only for making salads and pizza toppings.
You can also fry it. You will find a great variety of recipes as anyone can add new ingredients to the breading.
In Italy, Mozzarella balls are fried right in the streets on the holidays to honor tutelary saints of towns or during fairs when families go out and want to enjoy fresh and out of a frying pan meals.
Here we use small cherry-size Mozzarella balls. These balls are easy to make and they look so pretty on the table.
To give this dish a delicate and superior flavor, we add green basil and parsley. These spicy herbs are also healthy as they contain chlorophyll that is essential to our health.
Ingredients for Fried Mozzarella Balls
1 lb Mozzarella cheese balls
100 g breadcrumbs
A couple of basil and parsley leaves
1/2 cup (100 ml) olive oil
Recipe of Fried Mozzarella Balls
- Wash basil and parsley. Chop in a blender.
- Add salt to taste, break the egg in and blend everything well.
- Remove Mozzarella balls from the whey.
- Deep each ball into the mixture.
- Roll in breadcrumbs. Then dip into the mixture and roll in breadcrumbs again.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Drop 3-4 balls at a time into boiling oil.
- Fry for 1 minute, turning over quickly.
- Take out with a skimmer and place on a plate lined with paper towel to remove excessive oil.
- Repeat the process until all Mozzarella balls are fried.
- Serve warm. Garnish with parsley and peppermint or any greens to your taste.