Try our own version of a famous recipe from Puglia region cuisine, South Italy, – so called Orecchiette with broccoli rabe. In this recipe we used a special mix of Orecchiette and Maccheroncini pasta. The mix is called Maritate and its taste resembles homemade noodles. You’ll enjoy piquant taste of this dish, especially if you dress it with peppered olive oil steeped with peperoncino hot peppers.
Ingredients for Maritate Pasta with Sauteed Broccoli
- 1 lb (500 g) Maritate pasta
- 1 lb (500 g) broccoli rabe
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peppered olive oil
- Wash broccoli rabe, removing tough stems and leaving just leaves and flower buds.
- Tear with hands into medium pieces.
- In a saucepan, saute chopped garlic in olive oil.
- Then add broccoli rabe and salt to taste.
- Reduce the heat to the minimum, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, bring 2-3 liters of salted water to boil and cook pasta until al dente (firm but not soft).
- Drain using a colander.
- Now add pasta to the broccoli rabe sauce, toss and sprinkle with peppered olive oil.
- Serve hot.