How to Make Italian Sausages with Broccoli Rabe
Sausages with broccoli rabe or friarielli as Italians call it is a staple recipe of Neapolitan cuisine. Friarielli is traditionally cultivated in Naples and its surrounding areas. And broccoli rabe recipes originated there. Friarielli has mushroom-like, slightly bitter piquant taste that goes perfectly well with fresh sausages. Sausages are made from high quality meat which is cut by a knife very finely. Never grind meat for sausages using a meat grinder! No Neapolitan – and no epicure as well – can resist this wonderfully delicious dish.
Ingredients for Italian Sausages with Broccoli Rabe
- 1.3 lb (600 g) Friarielli
- 8 sausages (about 1.7 lb or 800 g)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-2 parsley stalks
- 3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- Flavored olive oil or pepper
- Make sausages using our recipe or buy them in a store.
- Wash friarielli. Separate leaves and buds from stems.
- In a large frying pan, pour olive oil and saute finely chopped garlic until golden.
- Add parsley, broccoli leaves and buds, salt to taste and cover.
- Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove everything and transfer into a bowl. Spear sausages with a fork and put them into the same frying pan.
- Fry sausages about 15-20 minutes covered, flipping them over occasionally.
- Add friarielli and cook with sausages for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add some chili peppers or flavored olive oil in the end.
- Serve hot with cherry tomatoes and cucumbers.