Mangold, the kind of leaf beet, is a wholesome and tasty vegetable. You can try and do it Italian way with fried pinoles and olives – it is an exquisite dish! You can eat it cold as an appetizer or hot for a second course; you can also serve it as a side dish for meat or fish.
Ingredients for Stewed Mangold
- 1 – 1.2 lb mangold
- a handful of pine nuts
- a handful of olives
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- Olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice: all to taste.
Recipe for Stewed Mangold
- Wash mangold leaves carefully, cut off rough stalks, cut up into large pieces. Put them into a pan with boiling salted water and boil for 10 minutes. Strain with a colander, let all the water go.
- Take a stewing pan, fry finely cut shallot and garlic.
- Add mangold, stew for 5 minutes, then add olives and sprinkle with lemon juice. Turn off the heat in a minute.
- When serving drizzle over with fried pine nuts.