“Pizzoccheri della Valtellina” is a specialite of the region of Italy Valtellina, situated not far from the Swiss border. It is made from buckwheat and wheat flour in the ratio three to one in the form of wide and flat noodles. Pizzoccheri with vegetables and cheese is usually prepared in cold seasons because it is nourishing and warms the body up well.
Ingredients for Pizzoccheri
- 3 potatoes
- 1 lb cabbage
- 0.7 lb pizzoccheri
- 0.4 lb Valtellina Casera cheese or Fontina cheese
- 0.2 lb butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 sage leaves
- 0.1 lb grated Parmesan
Recipe for Pizzoccheri
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
- Melt some butter, simmer sage and chopped garlic in it.
- Remove tough fibers from the cabbage and tear the leaves into medium-sized pieces. Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Boil water in a deep pan, salt and put in the potato and cabbage; boil for 20 minutes.
- Add pizzoccheri and boil for another 10 minutes. Strain through a colander.
- Take a warmed-up deep dish, put in a layer of pizzoccheri with potato and cabbage. Pour over with the sage-and-garlic butter, sprinkle with cheese cubes and grated parmesan. Put another layer on top and proceed until the ingredients run out.
- Or you can put everything into a large frying pan and mix up well.