This soup is a customary item in the menus of the best Italian restaurants. The Italians call that kind of soup “the brodetto“. They cook it with fresh mollusks and shrimps and serve it with dry breadcrumbs. It is very good for your health as it contains a number of very important and healthful stuffs and it is considered to be a dietary one. You will eat the soup with great pleasure and rise from the table with a feeling akin to euphoria, dreaming of relishing the pleasurable meal again soon. Preparing this soup will require some effort, but you will be fully rewarded for your pains.
Ingredients for Mollusk and Shrimp Soup
- Mussels in their shells: 2.2 lbs
- Large shrimps: 1.1 lbs
- Tellina (launce mollusks): 2.2 lbs
- Sea cocktail: 0.7 lbs
- “Fricelle” dry breadcrumbs: as much as it is necessary
- 3 garlic cloves
- Some parsley twigs
- Some basil leaves
- Olive oil: 5 tbsps
- Grated tomatoes: 1.1 lbs
- Dry white wine: 1/2 cup
- Salt: to taste.
- Put the mussels and the tellina into a pan and put them on the cooker. Heat them up, stirring slowly time and time again. When the mollusks open, take them out and extract the meat from the shells. And you will have mollusks juice in the pan.
- Put the shrimps in the pan with the juice and bring them to boil. Afterwards take them out and remove the shells. The juice or the bouillon from the shrimps and the mollusks must be filtered through a dense strainer and poured into a cup.
- Pour some oil onto another pan and fry minced garlic, parsley and basil. Then add the filtered bouillon and grated tomatoes and cook them for a minute. When the sauce begins to boil, add the sea cocktail and stew it for 5-6 minutes.
- Then put in the mussel, telline and shrimp meat, add white wine and continue to stew well- covered for 5-6 minutes more. Afterwards turn off the gas and wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Then the soup can be served. First put a large piece of dry bread into each plate and pour the soup over it. After the breadcrumb has saturated with the soup, cut it into small pieces and eat it with the soup.