We bake this cake for every party and all our guests are always so delighted with it that the cake disappears right away. The secret behind the dough for this cake is that it is steamed. That’s why the cake is so ropey and has a fabulous caramel smack in it. When baking, crusts become soft and like gingerbreads in texture. And when the cake is well-soaked in cream, it just melts in your mouth. You need to add a little salt to all sweet pastry so the taste is not too sugary. It also makes the taste richer. If you plan to throw a big party, make sure you use twice as much quantity of ingredients than specified below.
Ingredients for Dough
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 50 g butter
- 1 glass sugar
Ingredients for Cream
- 1 jar condensed milk
- 300 g 30-35% fat cream or sour cream
- 50 g butter
Ingredients for Garnishing and Filling
- 50 g raisins
- 50 g any nuts you like, we use pignoli
- 50 g cranberry
- Steam dough. If there is no steamer available, do the following. Put a bowl or a smaller pat into a large pot of boiling water.
- Break in eggs, add sugar, honey and beat the mixture.
- Then add baking soda, salt and butter.
- Stir the mixture regularly. When it starts getting lighter in color, pour in a cup of flour and stir well with a spoon.
- Now add another cup and stir everything quickly.
- Stir intensely until the dough is getting more ropey and hotter, after a few minutes remove a bowl from the pot.
- Line a baking sheet with oil-coated baking paper.
- Pour in hot dough and even out with a spoon.
- Place in a well pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Bake until nicely brown and remove from the oven. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream.
- Beat butter, condensed milk and cream together. It’s ok if the cream is watery as the moisture will soak into crusts.
- Cut cooled crust in half with a knife. Even out the edges if needed.
- Now put raisins and nuts on a crust and spread the cream over.
- Top with another crust and spread the cream heavily.
- Let stand for a few minutes and then garnish the top with cranberries, raisins and pignoli or with any nuts or berries your heart contents.
- Place in cold place and let stand for 5-6 hours.