People have always known that coffee is wholesome. Until the XVIII century it has even been prescribed as a medicine and sold in drugstores.
During the latest two centuries some properties of coffee have been investigated in scientific labs. There were no results showing that coffee can be in any way harmful. Some recent researches have disproven that coffee interferes with sleep and is conducive to developing heart diseases.
On the contrary, a number of studies reveal the benefits of coffee and its main active compound – caffeine.
- Caffeine stimulates the nervous system keeping you in a good mood and sharp attention.
- It helps breathing and digestion, takes away hunger and therefore is a help in slimming diets.
- It often provides an excellent cure against headaches.
- Coffee is a good prophylactic against liver cirrhosis and Parkinson’s disease.
- It contains antioxidants that help neutralize destructive free radicals.
Of course coffee ought to be taken in appropriate amounts that vary depending on the mixture, preparation method, habit, metabolism and the general state of health.
- Espresso is believed to have the richest taste and the least caffeine.
- 100%-pure Arabica has a medium content of caffeine, about 1.3%.
- It is almost twice the content if mixed with Robusta.