Italian cookies ciacchiere are prepared for the days of the carnival. In February all confectioneries and food shops in Italy are filled with these sweeties. People dressed in carnival costumes are strolling about the squares. Theatrical performances are on. Throughout the festivities people treat themselves to the traditional ciacchere, washing them down with sweet wine (juice for children).
Ingredients for Italian Carnival Cookies
- 0.9 lb flour
- 0.06 lb butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 0.2 pt Marsala wine
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- oil for frying
- sugar powder
Recipe for Italian Carnival Cookies
- Mix butter with eggs, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add wine and flour. Knead soft non-sticky dough.
- Wrap the dough into a film and put away in the fridge for an hour.
- After that roll out the dough thinly.
- Cut out stripes about 10 cm long and 5 cm wide with a shaped knife and cut them in the middle two times.
- Pour enough oil into a pan – the cookies should float in it while frying.
- Fry the cookies on both sides, 3-4 at a time, until they acquire a golden color.
- When they cool down, sprinkle with sugar powder lavishly.