Squids’ hollow bodies are extremely convenient for stuffing. Rice, mushrooms or some vegetables will make an excellent stuffing. We used rice with ceps and leek and got a dish with a harmonious taste. The number of squids depends on their size. We had Mediterranean squids that are on the small side.
Ingredients for Squids Stuffed with Rice and Mushrooms
- 4-6 squids
- 0.2 lb rice
- 0.2 lb ceps
- half a stalk leek
- 0.1 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- curry, salt
- Gut the squids, put out the chitinous scape and the eyes and cut off the tentacles. Wash them well in running water and let all the water drip off. It’s better to leave their skin on, they will be much tastier this way.
- Boil rice until half-done.
- Cut leek and mushrooms finely.
- Melt butter in a deep frying-pan and simmer the leek.
- Add ceps. Fry them with leek for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Then put in rice, curry and salt, mix up and simmer for 5-6 minutes more. At the end put in 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan.
- Stuff squids’ bodies with this mixture.
- Put the stuffed squids into a pre-oiled form and bake for about 20 minutes. When you see the squids getting brown, turn off the oven.
- Serve stuffed squids hot.