How to Make Squid Stewed in Tomato Sauce
Although they prefer to roast squid in Italia, there are delicious dishes with stewed squid. Italians catch a good deal of squids. Generally they come not large, but very tender and tasty. If you cook them right they are neither rubbery nor hard. An Italian tip: don’t remove skin squid, it will give the dish unique shades of taste.
Ingredients for Squid Stewed in Tomato Sauce
- Squid: 1 kg.
- Large tomatoes: 4-5 pcs.
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves.
- A few sprigs of parsley.
- Tomato paste 1 tablespoon
- Half a glass of dry white wine.
- Extra virgin olive oil: 4-5 tbsp
- Salt and pepper: to taste
Recipe Squid Stewed in Tomato Sauce
- Cut the squid, remove the chitinous chine, the eyes and beak. Wash the flesh in running water.
- Cut the flesh across in thick rings.
- Pour some oil into a roasting pan, fry finely chopped garlic.
- Add parsley and – in another minute – finely cut tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stew for about 5 minutes and pour in some wine.
- Put in the squid rings, cover up and stew on a low heat for about 10-15 minutes.