Spicy Scarlett Pears Recipe
This magical dessert was named after the heroine of the Gone with the Wind novel, Scarlett O’Hara.
Fragrant pink pears covered with a rich sauce are well associated with Scarlett’s passionate temper.
Those who have read the novel will understand it as soon as they try the pears.
Ingredients for Spicy Scarlett Pears
- Not large semi hard pears of any variety (we had pear Abbot): 5-6.
- Half a liter of dry red wine.
- Half not large beet.
- Any red liqueur (we had Alkermes, can cherry or strawberry): 3 tbsp
- Sugar: 3-4 tbsp
- 3-4 Stars anise, several cloves, 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon, 0.5 tsp cardamom 0.5 tsp nutmeg, allspice few peas.
Recipe for Spicy Scarlett Pears
- Grate the beet. Mix with wine and add all the other ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, add peeled pears.
- Cook at low heat for 10 minutes. The pears should be soft, but tight enough not to fall apart.
- Turn off the heat and leave the pears to cool in the syrup, sometimes turning them so that they are soaked evenly.
- After about an hour, remove the pears from the syrup.
- Strain the syrup, boil until thick over low heat.
- Serve the pears with the syrup.