In Italian, this chic layered cake in the form of a braid called – Angelica Torta di sorelle Simili. Recipe invented sister twins from Bologna Margarita and Valery Simili. They opened a cooking school, that made them famous in the world, and published the book “Bread and sweets” that introduce the secrets of Italian pastries.
Ingredients for the cake Angelica
- Manitoba flour 570 gr.(1,25 lb)
- Sugar: 90 gr. (3,1 oz)
- 3 egg yolks.
- Yeast: 15 gr. (0,03 oz)
- Malt: 1 tsp
- Candied orange: 140 gr. (4.9 oz)
- Raisins: 100 gr. (3,5 oz)
- Milk: 240 ml.
- Salt 1 tsp
- Butter: 130 gr. (4,5 oz) at room temperature. + Melted for greasing 50 gr. (1,7 oz)
Recipe for cake Angelica
- First prepare the brew. Mix 0.4 glass of milk, yeast, and malt with 0.30 lb flour, give it a good mix-up, roll into a ball, cover with a film and leave to come to for an hour.
- Meanwhile get busy on the dough. Take milk, add sugar, salt, yolks and the remaining 0.95 lb of flour. Knead dough.
- After that add soft butter and knead for not less than 10 minutes so that the dough gets elastic and won’t stick to the sides of the dish.
- Mix the dough with the brew that has come to and leave to ferment for 2-3 hours.
- When the dough has swelled to twice its original volume, place it onto a table sprinkled with flour and roll it thin with a rolling pin, and smear with butter.
- Sprinkle candied orange and raisin all over the dough and fold it into a roll.
- Cut the roll along into 2 parts and entwine them cut-open side up and form into a pocket-shaped bun.
- Set it onto a baking tray and let it come to, for an hour.
- Then smear with butter and place into the oven pre-heated to 350 degrees; bake for 25 minutes, then bring down the heat to 300 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Ready bun sprinkle with powdered sugar.