A lamb’s head baked in an oven with onions, potatoes and tomatoes is a typical shepherds’ dish in Sardinia. Many sheep are bread there for the production of the well-known sheep cheese “Pecorino Sardou”. This dish is considered a delicacy because lamb’s brain and tongue are highly nourishing and extremely tasty.
Ingredients for Baked Lamb’s Head with Potatoes
- 2 lamb heads
- 1.1 lb/ 500 g potatoes
- 0.9 lb/ 400 g tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 shallots
- 1/2 cup white dry wine
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3.4 fl oz/ 100 g olive oil
- some parsley stalks
- 2-3 saffron leaves
- salt to taste
- Cut the lamb heads into halves, wash them.
- Pour olive oil into a baking sheet, put the pieces of the heads, potatoes cut into large pieces, chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic and herbs on. Salt and sprinkle with white wine.
- Bake in an oven for about 40 minutes at the temperature of 350 F (180 C).
- When the potatoes are soft and the pieces of the heads get a nice brownish crust, the dish is ready.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and wait for about 5-10 minutes.
- Then put the heads and the potatoes on plates and sprinkle with the sauce from the baking sheet. Serve the dish hot.