Lemon is an evergreen shrub bearing yellow oval fruits having juicy flesh rich in vitamins. Lemon is widely used in culinary. It is a good snack for tea and cognac, a dressing for salads and sauce for fish and meat. Lemon’s always been a traditional remedy against common cold. Lemon is very sour fruit but acts as the opposite for our stomach reducing acidity. Lemon juice and skin have antiseptic properties. And lemon leaves are used to treat fever.
Vitamin C in Lemon
Lemon is rich in vitamin C that strengthens immune system and acts as antioxidant. Lemon in rich in vitamin C (in flesh) and vitamin P (in skin) as well as in organic acids. Everybody knows how lemon tastes, but regular lemons are not true. True lemons grow in China, from where they were brought to Europe in the eleventh century by Arabs. Chinese lemons are sweet and are served as a sweet dessert. So don’t be surprised if you ever taste sweet lemon. It could have green skin but sweet taste, anyway.
What Are Lemon Health Effects
- Stimulating appetite.
- Improving digestion.
- Lowering blood cholesterol levels.
- Easing convulsions and wrings.
- Refreshing properties.
- Effective antiseptic.
Antioxidants in Lemon
- Lemon slows down aging and prevents cancer due to its antioxidant properties.
- It makes blood vessels elastic, which is a good prevention against strokes and heart attacks.
- Lemon provides pectin, essential oils, terperin, bioflavonoids that strengthen the walls of capillaries. Essential oils promote lymph circulation in the body. Lemon stimulates the secretion of enzymes and gastric juice, which improves absorption of iron and calcium. Lemon can be used as antiseptic against inflammatory diseases in mouth and throat, but be careful because lemon juice is harmful for teeth enamel being able to dissolve calcium.
Who Should Eat Lemon?
Lemon is very healthy for kids and pregnant women. If you spend long hours before computer it would be great idea to have a saucer of lemon slices sprinkled with sugar around. Eat a slice once in a while. It will help to concentrate, you’ll gain vigor and more focus and will reduce weariness.
Lemon is also used in cosmetology as an ingredient in various masks.