Black kidney beans is a customary food in the Latino-American cuisine. Now Europeans have also developed a liking for them. They have a rich sweet taste with a slight fruit flavor. The beans make any dish delicious, whether it is soup, pottage, sauces or salads. You will want more of black beans once you have tried them.
Ingredients for Pottage with Black Kidney Beans
- 1 glass black kidney beans
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 glass grated tomatoes
- 1-2 onions
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 glasses vegetable (or chicken) broth
- salt, chile pepper: to taste
Recipe for Pottage with Black Kidney Beans
- Let the beans soak in water well prior to cooking. After that boil them until soft, for about 2 hours, and strain in a colander.
- Pour some oil into a thick-bottomed pan and fry finely chopped onion, then add carrot and sweet pepper. Stew for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, in another three minutes pour in the broth and put in kidney beans. Cover and boil the pottage for about 10 minutes.
- When the time is over turn off the heat, add garlic rubbed with salt and chile pepper, cover and leave for about 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with any greens and serve the pottage hot.