Cretan cuisine, alongside of Greek cuisine, is justly considered to be one of the most wholesome in the world. They use olive oil, goat and sheep cheese, all kinds of greens in enormous amounts. Kalitsounia, pies with various fillings made from thin dough, are greatly popular in Crete.
Ingredients for dough
- 1.2 lb flour
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons grape vodka raki
- 10 oz or 1.5 glass water
- egg and sesame for topping
Ingredients for filling
- 0.6 lb sheep, or goat cheese (Feta)
- 0.4 lb cottage cheese
- a bunch of green onion
- parsley, basil, mint, spinach – take a lot of each according to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
Recipe for Cretan Pies with Greens and Cheese
- Add oil, vodka and a pinch of salt to flour. Adding water gradually, knead elastic non-sticky dough. Cover it up and leave for 2-3 hours.
- Wash the greens in running water, dry up and cut up fine.
- Mash cheese and cottage cheese and mix with greens and olive oil.
- Roll up the dough thin, stretching it slightly to both sides.
- Cut into squares, put the filling in the middle, fold it up like an envelope and press slightly.
- Smear the pies with eggs and sprinkle with sesame.
- Bake the pies on a pre-oiled baking tray at 392 degrees for about 25 minutes, until they get nicely golden.