Iceberg lettuce is a type of crisp-head lettuce. Its light green leaves are formed into a densely packed head that weighs about two pounds. Iceberg lettuce is amazingly juicy and crispy and it can be stored for a long time. It is good idea if you season iceberg salads with olive oil.
Leaf lettuce is becoming increasingly popular in cookery these days. One reason is that nothing could be healthier than lettuce. Lettuce it ranks first among low-cal foods (100 g lettuce supplies only 12 kcal). And that’s what those watching their weight love about it. Basically, all “green” slim diets involve lettuce and veggies.
Italians traditionally make a hot scarola salad for Christmas. But sometimes you just can’t find scarola lettuce at stores. Get creative and substitute scarola for iceberg lettuce. So here is a traditional Neapolitan Christmas recipe, however, keep in mind that we use iceberg lettuce instead of scarola.
Ingredients for Hot Iceberg Salad
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 100 g olives
- 30 g capers
- 60 g extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 30 g pine nuts
- 50 g raisins
- Salt to taste
- Wash lettuce, remove leaves.
- Do not cut with knife; use your hands to tear leaves into medium pieces.
- Put oil in pan and fry half cut garlic cloves until golden.
- Add pieces of lettuce leaves and some water. Cover the pan with a lid and fry for 15 minutes.
- Then add raisins, olives, capers and pine nuts.
- Add salt to taste and fry for 10 minutes.
- Keep this dish moist and add some water if needed.
- You can eat this salad hot or cold, depending on your taste.