This pie is made from fillo stretch dough. For filling we chose one loved by many people – cabbage. We simmered it with carrots and onions, and it is delicious. But if somebody likes a sourer taste, they may add some tomato paste. Making dough is not so difficult, though you have to be skillful in stretching. If the dough breaks a little in some places, it doesn’t matter. Wrapping the dough around the filling, you will cover up all the holes. You can make two pies with the given amount of the flour.
Ingredients for Dough
- 1.6-1.8 lb/ 3 cups flour 00
- 3 tablespoons 6 % grape vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup warm water
Ingredients for Filling
- Dust the sifted flour into a big bowl, add salt, mix.
- Make a hole in the middle and break an egg into it, then add olive oil and vinegar.
- Knead the dough adding warm water gradually. Do it thoroughly for about 15 minutes. You must get soft and elastic dough which is not sticky.
- Divide the dough into an even number of balls – 12 or 14. Flatten each ball slightly and oil them, then put them one on another and press the edges together.
- Put these pressed-together double patties into a wide bowl or another kitchen ware, cover it and put into the fridge for an hour or two.
- Meanwhile, cook the filling. Chop the cabbage finely. Grate the carrots on a coarse grate. Dice the onion into cubes.
- Pour olive oil into the frying pan and fry the onion first, then add the carrots. Add the cabbage after two minutes, salt to taste, mix, cover with a lid and simmer the mixture over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Having given the dough time to be ready, you can begin to use it. Take a double patty and roll it out as thinly as possible.
- Put the dough on a piece of fabric and stretch it little by little in all directions until you make it almost transparent.
- Afterwards oil the dough and put out a thin layer of filling evenly over the dough.
- Fold it into a roll, then fold a roll into a spiral and place it in the centre of an oiled deep baking sheet.
- Make another roll like the first one and fold it around the first, filling up the baking sheet.
- Then pour some cream or sour cream over the pie and put it into the oven heated to 350 F (180 C).
- Bake the pie for about 30 minutes at this temperature. Then reduce the temperature to about 250 F (120 C) and continue baking for about 20-25 minutes more.
- You can eat this pie cold as well as hot.