Recipe for Sweet Buns with Poppy
To bake sweet buns with poppy seeds, you will do good to let poppy boil in sweet milk beforehand, and it will be very tasty and not dry. Dough for these buns is made according to the recipe of the dough for French sweet buns called brioche. These buns have a characteristic soft and light structure. They are especially nice to eat for breakfast with coffee, milk or tea.
Ingredients for Sweet Buns with Poppy
- 2.2 lb flour
- 4 eggs
- 0.3 lb/ 150-200 g butter
- 1 cup/ 8 fl oz/ 250 g kefir or sour milk
- 0.2 lb/ 100-150 g sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 0.1 lb/ 40 g fresh yeast or 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 0.1 lb/ 60-70 g/ 4-5 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup/ 100 g/ 3.5 fl oz milk
- Prepare the poppy beforehand. Dip it into milk adding 3-4 spoonfuls of sugar to make it swell. Then boil the poppy in this milk on low heat for 20-30 minutes. Let the poppy cool, add one egg white and mash well. You will get a mixture resembling paste in texture.
- Mix yeast with warm sour milk, add 3 eggs, sugar, salt and soft butter.
- Add sifted flour gradually, beating up the dough carefully.
- When flour has been added, knead the dough vigorously until it is smooth and not sticky.
- Form the dough into a ball, put it into a deep bowl, cover and place into the fridge for 10-12 hours.
- Then take out the bowl with the dough and put it in a warm place. When the dough gets twice its former size knead it again.
- Roll it out not very thinly, coat it with the prepared poppy all over the surface and fold it into a roll.
- Then cut the roll into pieces and put them on a baking sheet vertically. Let it stand for about 40 minutes to let the dough grow in size again.
- Coat the buns with the yolk and place the baking sheet into the oven pre-heated to 350-390 ° F (180-200° C).
- Bake for about 30 minutes. When the buns get slightly brown, they are ready and you can take them out.