This dessert was created by the famous French cook and confectioner Auguste Escoffier in honor of Nellie Melba, Australian opera diva. When she performed brilliantly in Wagner’s Lohengrin, the Duke of Orleans gave a dinner in her honor.
Escoffier came up with a new dessert for this occasion. He decided to use a figurine of an ice swan to symbolize the singer’s crystal clear voice.
The dessert also contained the singer’s favorite fruits, peaches and raspberries. They reposed on a bed of vanilla ice cream and were covered with sugar threads.
Later Escoffier made alterations to the recipe, excluding the ice swan and leaving only peaches, ice cream and raspberry puree.
There are and other versions of this dessert – with nectarines, strawberries, pears, apricots, and instead of raspberry sauce can take the red currant jelly
Ingredients for Peach Melba
- 5-6 peaches
- 1-1.2 lb vanilla ice cream
- 1.2 lb raspberry
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
Recipe for Peach Melba
- If the peaches are ripe and sweet, just peel them, take out the stones and cut up the flesh. If they are not quite ripe, you’ll have to boil them for a couple of minutes in boiling syrup made from a glass of water and half a glass of sugar.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of sugar over raspberry, mash and bring to boil. Make it thicker by adding starch dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water.
- Buy or make vanilla ice cream, according to this recipe The Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Put ice cream into bowls, put peach pieces on top, pour over with raspberry sauce. On the other hand, you can serve the dessert in a large dish.