Late autumn and winter is the season for red leaf chicory which is known as radicchio in Italy. It is a beautiful plant that brings to mind resplendent exotic flowers. Its leaves contain intibin, a substance that is salubrious for gestation and vessels. It makes the radicchio leaves taste slightly bitter, but a thermal treatment kills bitterness completely leaving behind a marvelous velvety aftertaste. Radicchio is excellent in pasta sauces.
Ingredients for Pasta with Radicchio and Salmon
- a few leaves of radicchio
- 0.2 lb smoked salmon
- 0.4 pt or a glass cream
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 0.6 lb pasta bigoli (bavette or spaghetti)
Recipe for Bigoli Pasta with Radicchio
- Pour oil into a frying pan and fry cut radicchio leaves.
- Add salmon pieces and stew for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream, stew for one minute more, salt to taste and turn off the heat.
- Boil pasta al’dente in salted water.
- Drain it, put it in the frying pan with the sauce and give it a good mix-up.
- Serve hot.