This soft milky caramel is a popular sweet in South American countries. This dessert exists in many variations – with cream, cakes, ice cream, on pancakes, or simply for bread. The main thing is the traditional Alfajores cookies filling – a favorite sweet in Spain, Argentina and Uruguay. Take the trouble to prepare Dulce de Leche and you will see that it is worth the pains.
Ingredints for Dulce de Leche
- 0.8 cup or 5 glasses milk
- 0.5 lb sugar
- 1 teaspoon without heap soda
- A pinch of vanilla or cinnamon
Recipe for Dulce de Leche
- Take a pan with a thick bottom, pour in milk, add sugar, vanilla and soda.
- Put on medium heat and bring to boil stirring.
- When the milk has changed color slightly – after about 20 minutes – turn down the heat.
- Boil the milk slowly stirring constantly for about an hour. If you stop boiling some 5-10 minutes before, you will get a thinner and lighter liquid, somewhat like syrup.
- Approximately after an hour and 5 minutes after bringing the milk to boil the mixture becomes thick and smeary. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down, stirring it for 5 minutes more. Then place it into the fridge.
- We spent on it 1 hour and 10 minutes in all. But you should watch the progress taking into account the quality of the milk, the intensity of the stirring, the thickness of the pan’s walls, its width – they all influence the result.