Runner bean is very good option for those who are watching their weight or dieting because it is considered a dietary and low-calorie food. Runner bean is rich in fiber, folic acid and many other vitamins. Due to its unique complex of vitamins and minerals, runner bean is very healthy for our skin and makes it look nice and fresh. Italians were first to use runner bean as food as early as in the seventieth century. Then, the French managed to grow especially soft sort of runner bean. Ever since thousands of dishes have been invented with this food. Leek which we used in this recipe is very pleasant to taste. It is not as pungent as bulb onion and has many health benefits.
Ingredients for Runner Beans with Leek
- 1 lb (500 g) runner bean
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 stalks of leek
- 1 teaspoon flavored olive oil
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Cut runner beans into large pieces. Boil in salted water for about 5 minutes and drain water.
- Rinse leeks well. Cut off green stalks and slice the white root part into rings.
- Chop tomatoes finely.
- Pour olive oil into a large frying pan and sauté leek.
- Then stir in tomatoes and capers and simmer everything together for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add runner beans and put flavored olive oil. If there is no flavored oil, use some chili peppers instead.
- Add a few tablespoonfuls of water, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Cook until the runner beans are soft.
- Add salt to taste and mix everything well.
- Serve immediately.