Today, we suggest cooking stewed red mullet Leghorn or Livorno style in a sauce with garlic and parsley. This is a traditional dish of Livorno fishermen. On the Italian dish called – triglie alla livornese.
In the original recipe pre-fried fish, then put into the sauce. We just put fish into the sauce, without pre-fried, so made the dish with less calorie.
The cooking method is very simple. Nevertheless, the fish is exceptionally tasty; it is served with a fragrant sweet sauce, which can be soaked from the dish with a slice of rustic bread.
Ingredients for Red mullet Leghorn style
- Red mullet: 500 gr.
- Dry white wine: 50 ml.
- Garlic: 2 cloves.
- Olive oil: 3-4 tbsp
- A few sprigs of parsley.
- Tomato puree (passata): 2-3 tablespoons
- A few drops of balsamic vinegar.
- Salt and pepper.
Recipe for Red mullet Leghorn style
- Pour some olive oil in the pan, fry chopped garlic, and add chopped parsley and wine.
- When the wine is slightly evaporated, add tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- . Simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes.
- Then put the gutted fish, free of scales and preferably bones, into the sauce. This fish is very delicate, so you need to treat it gently. The bones can be removed as follows: first, pull out the spine with ribs; then use a pair of tweezers to remove the remaining bones. If some of the bones remain, not scary.
- Stew the fish in the sauce over low heat for 5-7 minutes.