Recipe for Beans Simmered with Pork Skin and Capers
Beans are rich in zinc that plays role in the production of insulin and other important hormones. It is also a source of essential amino acids. It’s no wonder dieticians and doctors strongly encourage us to include more of bean dishes into our regular diet. You have to soak beans in water before cooking and boil it over low heat to make beans tender. Pork skin is known as strong aphrodisiac. It is also very tasty. Try amazingly delicious combination of pork skin, simmered beans and capers.
Ingredients for Beans Simmered with Pork Skin
- 200 g pork skin
- 200 g beans
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 large tomato
- Few fennel stalks
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Soak beans in cold water for a few hours, adding a half teaspoonful of baking soda to soften the skin and cook beans quicker.
- As beans are swollen, rinse them in running water and boil until tender.
- Dip pork skin into boiling water and then scrape with a knife well.
- Pour olive oil in a deep frying pan or a saucepan.
- Saute chopped onion and add chopped tomatoes.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and add pork skin sliced into rings and pour in a glass of water.
- Add capers, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add boiled beans, shredded fennel and keep simmering everything together for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt if needed and turn the heat off.
- Let stand for 10 minutes and serve.