Try this traditional Neapolitan recipe for potato cake featuring two sorts of cheese and dry-cured Prosciutto ham. In Italy, potato cake is called “Gatto di Patate” and has very rich taste because mash potatoes are mixed with grated Parmesan. It is good to eat potato cake 15-20 minutes after it’s done and is still hot. Then you can feel the taste of all ingredients better. Potato cake is also tasty when cold.
Ingredients for Gatto di Patate
- 2 lb potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 150 g Prosciutto ham
- 250-350 g Mozzarella cheese
- 100 g Parmesan
- Half of a nutmeg
- 50 g butter
- Parsley, couple of basil leaves
- Boil unpeeled potatoes, then peel and mash.
- Now break in two eggs and add salt. Combine well.
- Add grated Parmesan (leave some for filling), finely chopped ham, parsley and basil, and grated nutmeg. Mix everything well.
- Coat a deep baking sheet with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs heavily.
- Spread the half of mashed potatoes and even out with a spoon.
- Cover with Mozzarella slices.
- Then sprinkle with grated Parmesan heavily and top with the rest of mashed potatoes.
- Spread evenly with wet spoon.
- Dust with breadcrumbs and put into an oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at the temperature of 320-360 F.
- Bake until nicely brown.
- Wait for 15 minutes and serve.