Mackerel is a fish of the Scombridae family and occurs in the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea and in northern costal waters of the Atlantic Ocean Young mackerel fish live in costal waters and even approach harbor waters in search of smaller fish it feed on. When mackerel reach its medium size, the school rushes to deep waters. The school joins another school of bigger fish. Mackerel is not bony, its flesh is white and tender. Polyunsaturated Omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals found in this fish make it a good dietary food.
Ingredients for Mackerel in Pizzaiola Sauce
1.3 lb (600 g) mackerel
250 g tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
Oregano, salt to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
Recipe of Mackerel in Pizzaiola Sauce
- Wash and gut the fish; cut the head and tail off.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a large frying pan, sauté finely chopped garlic in olive oil.
- Grate tomatoes and combine with garlic.
- Mix everything and put whole fish into this sauce.
- Add capers, oregano and salt.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Make sure you turn the fish over 10 minutes after the sauce starts boiling.
- When the fish is ready, arrange it on a serving plate and pour the sauce over.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.