How to Make Fish Broth
Fish broth with a delicious and rich taste can make an excellent base for fish sauces to go with pasta, soups or risotto with seafood. It can be made from any kind of fish, even if it’s bony – you’ll filter the broth and use only the liquid. You can add any spices, condiments, and herbs, that you like. We share our method.
It’s convenient to have blocks of such broth in the fridge. You can always use them to come up with a tasty dish in a few minutes.
Ingredients for Fish Broth
- 3-4 salmon heads (about 4 lb)
- a celery stalk
- a fennel bulb
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- garlic: 2-3 cloves
- a piece of ginger
- 3-4 bay leaves
- pink and black pepper, salt
Recipe for Fish Broth
- Take the gills off the heads, scrape off scales if there are any. Wash in running water and put in a large pan.
- Pour in water and salt. Bring to boil, take the froth off with a perforated spoon.
- After that put in all the other ingredients, washed, cleaned and cut roughly.
- Boil the broth on low heat covered with a lid for about 30 minutes. Then turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Drain the broth through a fine sieve.
- Now you can use it for whatever you feel like cooking. You can pour it out into forms at once and freeze.