This eggplant dish is called “melanzane a frughetti” in Italy, meaning “eggplant mushrooms”. This is a staple of Neapolitan cuisine. You can serve it as a side dish for meat or fish, or as the main dish. Buttery, somewhat bitter eggplant, tomato and Mozzarella cheese balls work together to create a delicate, slightly zesty and mouth-watering dish.
Ingredients for Eggplants with Mozzarella Cheese
- 3-4 eggplants
- 4 tomatoes
- 250 g Mozzarella
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Wash eggplants, trim off the ends and cut along in half.
- Scoop out cores and cut eggplants into 1 inch-thick dices.
- Pour enough olive oil in a frying pan to cover the bottom and fry eggplant dices for about 15 minutes.
- Fry until brown. When frying, eggplant absorbs a lot of cooking oil so add more if needed.
- Transfer fried eggplant dices into a bowl.
- Saute chopped garlic in the leftover oil.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes, add salt to taste and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, quarter Mozzarella cheese balls.
- Then add eggplant dices into the tomato sauce and simmer everything together for about 5 minutes. Turn the heat off.
- Put hot eggplant dices in plates, pour with the sauce over and top with Mozzarella.
- Stir everything slightly to soften Mozzarella, which adds a special taste to the dish.
- Serve hot.