Dry italian biscuits, look more like crackers, known as cantucci or cantuccini, is usually baked with almond, although there are variants. In Abruzzo they make them with pistachios, raisin, hazelnuts and air-cured cranberries. We liked the variant with cranberries best. They are called – Cantuccini D’Abruzzo al Mirtillo Rosso. Cranberry is sour, so it goes with sweet dough well, and you get a tasty dish!
Ingredients for Cantuccini with Cranberry
- Flour: 250 gr.
- Sugar: 200 gr.
- Eggs: 2 + 1 Yolk.
- Butter: 50 g.
- Dried cranberries: 100 gr.
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Pinch of salt.
Recipe for Cantuccini with Cranberry
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt into a dish.
- Make a hollow and pour in eggs whipped with sugar, add soft butter. Piling up the flour from the edges, knead smooth dough.
- Add cranberry and give it a good mix-up.
- Form long narrow baguettes, smear them with yolk.
- Bake for half an hour at 355 degrees.
- Take baguettes out and, while warm, cut into pieces about half an inch wide.
- Set into the oven for another 15 minutes.