The salad made from boiled vegetables and salted herring generally known as “Thick Coat” is immensely popular in the Russian cuisine. In the times of the Soviet Union it was a must for every holiday feast. The salad’s taste depends on the quality of the herring and mayonnaise used.
Ingredients for salad Dressed Herring
- 1 herring
- 2 beetroots
- 1-2 carrot
- 1-2 egg
- 1 white onion
- 2-3 potatoes
- mayonnaise, salt to taste
Recipe for Dressed Herring
- Boil potatoes, carrot, beetroots and eggs. Peel them when they have cooled down.
- Grate all these ingredients roughly on different plates.
- Chop onion into small cubes.
- Separate herring fillet from skin and bones and cut into small cubes.
- Make mayonnaise using a recipe Homemade Mayonnaise or buy it.
- Take a dish and lay the salad out in layers, first potato, then onion and herring. Top the herring with carrot and then beetroot. Spread mayonnaise on every layer.
- Sprinkle with grated egg and dress the salad with anything you fancy. The salad should soak properly for not less than three hours, then it can be served.