Actually you can use any filling you like for large shell pasta. We offer here the commonest Italian recipe. It is a dish to be found in the menus of the best Italian restaurants. Shell pasta is stuffed with a mixture of tomato sauce with minced meat, cheese, ricotta and flavorful basil. The dish is very nourishing and tasty.
Ingredients for Stuffed Shell Pasta
- 1.1 lb large shell pasta
- 0.8 lb minced meat
- 0.6 lb ricotta
- 0.2 lb grated Parmesan
- 1 white onion
- 0.7 lb strained tomatoes: 0.4 lb for ground meat and 0.3 lb for shell pasta pouring
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- parsley, basil, salt, pepper, olive oil
- Dice an onion finely and fry it slightly in olive oil.
- Then add tomato paste and in 1-2 minutes put minced meat.
- Fry it all slightly then add strained tomatoes.
- Simmer the sauce for about 20 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. When the excessive moisture has evaporated, turn the heat off.
- After the minced meat simmered in tomato sauce has cooled down, add ricotta, chopped parsley and basil, grated Parmesan, salt, pepper.
- Boil shell pasta in salt water until it is half done.
- Then stuff the pasta. Place it into a pre-oiled form in tight rows, open side up. Fill up the form with strained tomatoes. You can add some cream or sour cream if you wish.
- Put it in an oven for about 20 minutes. Serve the dish hot.