It is a hearty meat pie with mashed potatoes, which is very similar to a casserole. Shepherd’s pie is widespread in many countries. This pie seems to be cooked in every place where shepherds can be seen.
Initially, the recipe of the pie included lamb, but then it was often cooked with beef.
See how shepherd’s pie is cooked in our region. This cake can often be found on the holiday table.
Ingredients for Shepherd’s Pie
- Minced meat– lamb, beef (or pork): 500 gr.
- Potatoes: 4-5
- Carrots: 1-2
- Large onion: 1, or medium – 2.
- Glass of dry red wine.
- Tomatoes: 2-3
- Tomato paste: 1 tablespoon
- Grated Parmesan cheese: 4-5 tablespoons
- Soft cheese (mozzarella), or any other: about 100 gr.
- Egg 1.
- Herbs: parsley, basil.
- Olive oil, salt, pepper and other spices: everything to taste
Recipe for Shepherd’s Pie
- Cook potatoes in their skins until soft.
- Pour a little olive oil in a deep pan and fry the minced meat.
- Chop carrots, onions, and tomatoes. Add this to the browned mince and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then add the tomato paste, salt, pepper and other spices.
- After a couple of minutes, pour wine. Stir everything well and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add chopped herbs and grated parmesan.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them into a puree. Add olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and 1 egg.
- The mold of the appropriate size should be greased.
- Put the meat layer and press it slightly.
- Put thin slices of soft cheese.
- Add mashed potatoes on top. Smooth them out with a spatula.
- Make small patterns on the surface with the tip of a knife.
- Bake the pie at 180 C 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot.