Rice salad is a favorite with the Italians who somehow look on it as a summer dish and preferably make it in summer. They have ready-made marinated vegetable mixes for making the salad sold at stores. They include olives, pieces of cucumber, sweet pepper, carrot, artichoke. However you can buy all these separately. You can also put in sweet maize and green peas; in a word, go along with your fantasy.
Hardly anyone measures the ingredients up to the gram, it’s customary to take whatever you fancy and as much as you fancy. As soon as you get a harmonious taste, exactness is not important.
Ingredients for Italian Rice Salad
- 0.4-0.5 lb rice
- 0.1 lb Parmesan, 0,1 lb Emmentaler and 0.1 lb Pecorino
- 0.4 lb panchetta afumicata (smoked bacon, ham or prosciutto)
- 1-2 marinated cucumber
- 0.1 lb marinated carrot
- 0.4 lb marinated vegetables mix
- 0.4 lb mayonnaise
Recipe for Italian Rice Salad
- Boil the rice, train with a colander, splash some cold water over it and let it drain away. Then put the rice in the fridge.
- Mayonnaise can be bought, but we usually prepare it for this recipe Homemade mayonnaise.
- Cut all the vegetables, cheese and panchetta into small cubes.
- Mix the rice, the vegetables, panchetta and the cheese and dress with mayonnaise.
- Put in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Serve cold