This is a customary recipe for the Italian Apulia (Puglia) Region that involves fresh pasta orecchiette (ears) made from semola. We need only broccoli’s florets for this one, they are boiled, chopped and stewed with olive oil and fried garlic, which gives you a delicious sauce. It will go well with any kind of pasta.
Ingredients for Orecchiette with Broccoli
- 0.8 lb orecchiette
- 2.2 lb broccoli
- 3 garlic cloves
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon aromatic pungent oil
Recipe for Orecchiette with Broccoli
- Break broccoli into florets and boil, strain with a colander, let the water go. Mash with a fork.
- Pour oil into a frying-pan and fry finely chopped garlic until it turns brown. Add pungent oil or red pepper.
- Add broccoli, salt and simmer for 10 minutes until it acquires a creamy substance. If they get too dry, add some water where broccoli boiled.
- Boil orecchiette as directed, that is take 5 glasses of salty water for every 0.2 lb of pasta and boil until al dente.
- Drain the water, put orecchiette in the pan with the sauce and mix up.