We wanted to cook something rich with astaxanthin. And tiger shrimp is the best ingredient for the idea. Because astaxanthin is also present in the shells and heads of the shrimp we decided to use them for sauce, too. The exotic taste of this savoury dish will appeal to the most exacting appetite. This dish can be served even at high profile occasions.
Ingredients for Simmered Tiger Shrimp
- 2-2.2 lb (1 kg) tiger shrimp
Ingredients for Cranberry Sauce
- 80-100 g cranberry
- Saffron, basil, couple of leaves each
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Several parsley stalks
- 1 nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- 100 ml water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoons honey
- First make the sauce using our recipe for cranberry sauce.
- Peel the shrimp, removing legs and heads.
- Put shells and heads into a pot, pour in a glass of water, press the shells and heads with a small saucer and boil for about 15 minutes. This will release the maximum of nutrients into the stock.
- Turn the heat off and strain the stock through a fine sieve.
- Add the half of the shrimp sauce into the cranberry sauce and simmer everything together for about 2 minutes.
- Combine the remaining half of the shrimp stock with the shrimp flesh and simmer for 5-6 minutes, turning shrimps occasionally.
- Turn the heat off and let stand for 5 minutes to ensure the shrimp flesh absorbs the sauce better.
- Garnish with greens and cranberries and serve.