This is a cake roll with a rich taste. It is traditionally baked for Christmas in many countries. The cake is usually covered with chocolate ganache and decorated in the form of a tree trunk.
The magic and beauty of this cake is in the way of its presentation.
By the way, it is also called Boucher de Noel and is often made in the form of a lying log or in the form of a stump at the base of which small berries, mushrooms and flowers are usually placed.
The taste of Christmas log will continue to grow, reaching the highest point of its elegance and harmony by the second or third day.
Ingredients for Christmas Log
For sponge cake
- Flour: 90 gr.
- Sugar: 90 gr.
- Large eggs: 3
- Lemon zest.
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- A pinch of cinnamon.
- A pinch of salt.
- Baking powder: 3 gr.
For the filling and coating
- 35% cream: 300 gr.
- Chocolate: 200 gr.
- Cocoa: 2 tbsp
- Sugar 2 tbsp
- Ground almonds 80 gr.
- Finely chopped dried apricots: 50 gr.
- Raspberry jam: 2-3 tablespoons
- For impregnation: 3 tablespoons any liqueur or brandy mixed with 2-3 tablespoons water.
Recipe for Christmas Log
- First, prepare the chocolate cream. Melt in a water bath and mix together – chocolate, cream with cocoa and sugar. Add the ground almonds
- Cool the mixture and put the cream in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Whisk eggs with sugar and lemon juice until you get a thick, light cream. Whisk them at high speed 6-8 min. to increase the volume threefold.
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt on the cream. Add lemon zest. Use a spatula to gently knead dough.
- Lay a baking parchment on the baking sheet, pour the dough on it and spread it evenly.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees C 14-15 min.
- The hot sponge cake should be poured with liqueur and covered with a cling film.
- After 20 minutes, turn the cake and remove the parchment.
- Spread a thin layer of raspberry jam all over the sponge cake and let it stay for some time before you cover the entire surface generously with chocolate cream, add finely chopped dried apricots.
- Tighten the roll with the help of the film, put it in the refrigerator for a few hours, or preferably a day.
- Then spread the remaining chocolate cream on the top of this roll, cut the ends diagonally and place the cut pieces on the cake to trim it as a log.
- Use a fork to decorate the surface of the cake imitating the bark of a tree. Sprinkle with icing sugar and decorate as desired.