Castagnaccio is a flat cake made from chestnut flour. It’s a traditional dessert in the cuisines of Tuscany, Piedmont, and Liguria. Castagnaccio’s marvelous taste is made up by raisin, rosemary, pinole (pine nuts) and freshly ground chestnut flour with a characteristic flavor.
Ingredients for Castagnaccio
- 0.8 lb chestnut flour
- 3 glasses water
- 0.1 lb pinole (pine nuts)
- 0.1 lb raisins
- a stalk of rosemary
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Recipe for Castagnaccio
- Mix flour with water, salt, sugar and 4 tablespoons oil, the mixture should be smooth without lumps. Leave it stand for half hour.
- Put raisins in water for half hour.
- Pour 2 spoonfuls oil into a form and spread over the bottom, sprinkle half raisins and rosemary needles and pour the dough in.
- Sprinkle some more raisins, rosemary and nuts all over the top.
- Bake at 356 degrees for one hour.