There are a lot of recipes for a staple Russian sponge cake called “Potato“or “Kartoshka”. It requires no fuss in the kitchen. You can use either biscuit or short pastry cookies. Adding any nuts and raisins and either cognac or brandy will make “Potato” taste even better. These cakes are usually rolled in breadcrumbs but we tried roasted sesame seeds. The result was amazing. You will surely appreciate the taste and flavor of these cakes.
Ingredients for Russian Sponge Cake
- 1 1/4 lbs (600 g) biscuit or Vanilla Crackers, or short pastry cookies
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 50 g raisins
- 100 g almond
- 1/2 cup (150 g) butter
- 1 jar condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- Sesame seeds, to taste
- Grind cookies, raisins and almond nuts using a meat grinder or crush in a food processor.
- In a bowl, combine butter, cocoa, condensed milk and cognac.
- Then add crushed mixture of cookies, raisins and buts. Mix everything well.
- Form little bars or balls and roll in roasted sesame seeds. Place in a fridge for half an hour and then serve.