This risotto is prepared with red chicory – radicchio, which is known as winter flowers. This kind of leaf salad looks really gorgeous. When it’s fresh it has a slightly bitter taste. But once it’s been thermally treated, red chicory undergoes a rapid change – the bitterness disappears, leaving a marvelous aftertaste. They make an unbelievably tasty risotto with radicchio in Treviso, give it a try!
Ingredients for Risotto with Red Chicory
- 1 head radicchio
- 0.6 lb rice
- half a glass of red wine
- 0.2 lb Parmesan
- 0.06 lb butter
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- half an onion
- 2.5 glasses broth
Recipe for Risotto with Radicchio
- Pull the radicchio head apart into separate leaves, wash them well, dry and cut up.
- Fry chopped onion on olive oil, add radicchio and fry them together for several minutes, stirring them up.
- Put in rice and fry it together with radicchio. Pour in wine and let it vapor.
- After that pour in broth little by little and stir up well. As the rice will be soaking up liquid, pour in more broth until risotto is ready.
- Finally add butter, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and give it a stir-up.
- Serve hot.