How to Make Fruitcakes with Prunes and Nuts
Surely nobody will refuse a tasty homemade baked pastry. Cooking fruitcakes or muffins is not so difficult. The main thing is to take high quality flour and everything will come out fine. You can bake one big fruitcake or several cakes if you have baking sheets of a smaller size from this quantity of ingredients. We baked three small, very soft fruitcakes which were done nicely in 40 minutes. But if you have a large baking sheet you must bake the fruitcake for not less than an hour.
Ingredients for Fruitcakes with Prunes and Nuts
- 5 eggs
- 0.7 cup/ 180 f/ 0.4 lb sugar
- 0.2 lb/ 100 g butter
- 0.7 lb/ 1.2 cup/ 300 g flour
- 0.8 cup/ 200 g cream
- salt to taste
- 1 bag baking powder or 1 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 30-40 g/ 2-3 tablespoons prunes, raisins for each cake
- 30 g/ 2 tablespoons almonds
- Whip eggs with sugar and salt in a large bowl. Then add cream and butter while continuing mixing it all with a mixer at medium speed.
- Add flour gradually, by the end of the process add baking powder and mix it for 3 minutes more.
- Add raisins, chopped prunes and almond nuts into the dough.
- Mix everything carefully. Your dough must resemble sour cream in its texture.
- Coat baking sheets with butter and sprinkle with flour or breadcrumbs. Fill one-third of each baking sheet with the dough. Put the baking sheets into oven pre-heated up to 350 F degrees (180 C).
- Bake fruitcakes for about 40 minutes. Reduce the heat to 285 F (140 C) for the last 10 minutes to prevent the cakes from burning.
- After the fruitcakes have baked, turn the heat off and open the oven door. Leave the baking sheets with the fruitcakes inside till they have cooled.
- You can cut the fruitcakes only when they are cool.