A wonderful, soft and light Sponge Cake can make an excellent dessert to go with tea or coffee. It can also be used as basis for delicious cakes. There are several simple rules that guarantee that we get a bold angel cake instead of a caved-in patty. This recipe gives the guidelines.
Ingredients for Sponge Cake
- 8 eggs
- 0.2 lb flour
- 0.1 lb starch
- 0.36 lb sugar
- 0.09 lb butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extraction
- a pinch of salt
Recipe for Sponge Cake
- Separate the whites from the yolks. The whites should be completely clean of the yolks, or you won’t be able to whip them up properly.
- Whip up whites with a pinch of salt and half of the sugar until they show firm spikes. Well-whipped whites cling to whisks.
- Whip up yolks with the remaining sugar and vanilla until they grow twice the original volume and look paler.
- Bring whites and yolks together, add sifted flour with starch and melted butter to the mixture. Mix carefully turning it upside down until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a cake hoop with parchment-covered bottom.
- Bake the cake for about half an hour in an oven pre-heated to 356 degrees.
- Turn off the heat and leave the cake in the oven to cool down. Then take it out and cut it up.