Chickpea with Basil
Chickpea dishes (hummus) are very nourishing and rich in vegetable protein, fiber and the B vitamins. Also, chickpea has strong antioxidant properties. Chickpea dishes are a staple in many Mediterranean countries and in Israel. Chickpea is essential for vegetarians because they get full proteins from it similar to those contained in meat. We slightly changed a traditional chickpea recipe, adding some spices – karri, sage and basil. These spices only enhanced the taste that came out so flavorful and yummy that we just ate this dish up. Olive oil makes chickpea especially soft.
Ingredients for Chickpea with Basil
300-400 g chickpea
5-6 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves
1-2 sage leaves
3-4 basil leaves
0.5 teaspoon karri seasoning
Salt to taste.
Recipe for Chickpea with Basil
- Soak the chickpea in cold water for several hours, better for overnight.
- Boil the chickpea over medium heat for about 2 hours until soft.
- When soft, take the chickpea out of water and put it into blender.
- Crush in blender until a paste. If the paste is too thick, add chickpea water.
- Then add finely chopped garlic, karri, sage leaves, basil and add salt to taste.
- Combine in a blender slowly, adding olive oil gradually.
- Try the paste, add some oil if needed.
- Keep mixing until chickpea acquires rich taste and paste texture.
- Spread chickpea paste over toasts or unsalted crackers. You can also serve it as a side dish or as an appetizer with various vegetable, meat or fish dishes