Lots of people love a slightly bitter Belgian endive, or witloof. Endive is growing in popularity every year. True food-lovers will enjoy its juicy, crisp leaves with spicy taste. Consumption of endive promotes liver and pancreatic gland health. Try this special endive appetizer recipe where we stuff curly endive leaves with mussels, anchovies, olives and tomato. The combination of the ingredients creates an amazing taste you will surely enjoy.
Ingredients for Belgian Endive Appetizer
2 lb (1 kg) shell mussels
200 g olives
150 g anchovies
2-3 medium tomatoes
100 g olive mayo
Ingredients for Marinade
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons (30 g) vinegar
Salt to taste
Recipe of Belgian Endive Appetizer
- Remove mussels from shells.
- Marinate mussels.
- For marinade, chop onion finely and combine with two tablespoons of 6% wine vinegar, some water, salt, basil and bay leaves.
- Put mussels in marinade, mix everything together and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Then cook mussels in marinade for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove mussels from marinade.
- Carefully separate endive leaves from the head.
- Wash every leaf and use colander to drain water.
- Scale anchovies and cut off heads.
- Slice tomatoes thinly.
- Arrange endive leaves on a serving plate.
- Put some mayo on the bottom of each leaf.
- Add mussels, anchovies, tomato slices and olives.
- Stuff all leaves and serve.