This dish is typical for the cuisine of north Italy. They like to serve boiled meat (usually beef) with a spicy and in the same time very sweet fruit-mustard sauce which is called “Mostarda”. It is an unusual and original fruity mustard which is made of different fruits with sugar, white wine and dry mustard. Fruits are so well-soaked in syrup that they become almost translucent. But you won’t be able to eat much of them due to the mustard’s sharp taste.
Ingredients for Beef With Sauce “Mostarda Di Frutta”
- 2.2-3.3 lb beef
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 stalk rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- few dill and parsley stalks
- “Mostarda di frutta” to taste
- Put the whole piece of meat into a pan with water.
- When the meat started to boil put in some salt, onions and carrot diced into large slices.
- Put dry spicy herbs: rosemary, oregano, bay leaves.
- Cook the meat until it gets soft for about 2 hours over low heat.
- At the end of cooking add chopped fresh parsley and dill. Turn the heat off at once and leave the meat in the pan for another 15 minutes to let it soak thoroughly and imbibe the taste and flavor of the spices better.
- Then take the meat out and cut it into equal flat slices. Put some meat slices on each plate, dress with some fruit-mustard syrup, add slices of fruits. The dish may be eaten at once.