There are some secrets how to make your pancakes thin. First, the frying pan should be cast-iron. It should be well heated. High temperature makes dough go bubbly and small holes appear in it. Second, you need to pour but a little dough on the pan and you should turn the frying pan quickly to make the dough spread evenly and thinly over the bottom. Third, the dough should be thin enough so it could spread easily. There is a special holiday in Russia when they traditionally make many various pancakes. It is called the Pancake Week (Maslenitsa). These days it’s customary to invite visitors, visit friends and relatives and to eat many pancakes with different fillings. The Pancake Week for Russians is like February Carnival holidays for Italians. Here is the one of our favorite recipes for thin pancakes.
Ingredients for Thin Pancakes
- 0.7-0.8 lb flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 0.2 pt kefir
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- soda on the tip of a knife
- Beat up eggs with vegetable oil, sugar and salt in a bowl, add soda.
- Pour in milk, water and kefir. Beat up everything well and add flour gradually.
- Mix the ingredients using a spoon or a mixer until smooth. The dough should be thin enough, if it is a little thick, add some more milk.
- Bake the pancakes on a frying pan with a thick bottom over high heat. Pour the dough on with a ladle and turn the pan quickly over full-circle to make the dough spread evenly over the frying pan.
- Bake each pancake for no longer than a minute, overturning the pancakes with a spatula when they are nicely brown. You can eat these pancakes with different fillings.