Radicchio, or red chicory, is an excellent source of vitamins K, B, C and rough eatable fiber. It has a bitter flavor which goes away during thermal treatment. There are several sorts of this plant. The sort that is considered to be the gourmet one is red chicory from Treviso that has juicy pulpy stalks. Radicchio is used for making risotto, it is stewed in sauces with pasta and fried with dry bread crumbs. Today we have the latter, it is called radicchio gratinato.
Ingredients for Radicchio Fried in Bread Crumbs
- Radicchio di Treviso: 2 head.
- Bread crumbs: 2-3 tbsp
- Grated Parmesan cheese: 2-3 tbsp
- Olive oil: 3-4 tbsp
- Salt: to taste.
Recipe for Radicchio Fried in Bread Crumbs
- Pick Radicchio heads into stalks, wash them and dry.
- Pour oil into a frying pan and fry the stalks until soft.
- Pour in dry bread crumbs, fry for a couple of minutes more.
- Sprinkle with cheese, salt, mix and turn off the heat.